Re: RC: RE: Re: Motorhomes as tow vehicles

snodgrab@ncr.disa.mil writes:

<< There are really a lot of reasons to not use a
 motor home for endurance ride towing.

Here's another reason -- IF they do breakdown (in my experience needs to read
WHEN), it can be incredibly frustrating to get them repaired.  We were
stranded in Las Vegas once waiting for our turn on the only lift in town (can
you believe that?) that could handle the motorhome.  Another time we were
stranded in Texas for well over a week waiting for parts -- this was at the
Ford dealership, they just didn't stock fuel pumps for motorhomes.  We ended
up buying one (this is a true story) from a guy who looked like he also might
be the local drug dealer and town pimp.  We didn't care WHERE he got the
thing (probably heisted it off of some other motorhome), we just wanted to
get out of Van Horn, Texas (no offense).  Our horses spent the week tied to
the trailer in a used car lot (on dirt, not pavement).  Give me a good old
truck any day of the week --- much easier to have worked on -- and they don't
seem to break down as often as motorhomes (in my experience).  Oh, the other
thing -- driving the motorhome with the trailer is a white knuckle experience
and THEN if the wind comes up or a big rig passes you, its definitely
adrenaline rush time. Don't even think about taking a hand off the wheel to
say.... eat lunch while driving, scratch your nose, or sip a bottle of water.
 My friends (who own the motorhome) have  tried everything to get the thing
to tow well, different shocks, sway bars, stabilizer bars, different tires,
you name it -- it is still quite literally -- Hell on wheels to drive.  I
would NEVER buy a motorhome to tow a horse trailer with.  (All you motorhome
people -- especially Lynne :) -- no flaming -- just my experience!).

Sylvia (shopping for a new truck, finally -- pant, pant)