Re: RC: Motorhomes as tow vehicles

On Tue, 04 Jan 2000 19:41:37 -0800, jtaylor@pyramid.net wrote:

>> Is anyone on the list currently towing with a Motorhome? Any  particular
>> things you could advise me on? I have a 3 horse Trails West and would be
>> hauling 2 horses plus gear, across the country...

I've used a motorhome/trailer combination for over ten years.  I would
dearly love to get rid of it and buy a pickup/gooseneck (with living
quarters).

A motorhome can only pull a bumper-hitch trailer, and the long
overhang of the motorhome behind the rear axle puts a lot of stress on
the motorhome (and lightens the front end as well).  It is not very
manueverable and doesn't deal well with crosswinds.  At many rides a
motorhome is not a practical vehicle for going to vet checks.

I once attended a major ride in the Rockies.  The campground was in a
wooded area.  After some difficulty I managed to get the trailer and
motorhome parked; after my camp was all set up ride management told me
I'd have to move, as I was parked in an area "reserved for
goosenecks."  I pointed out that my total overall length, at over 40
feet, was longer than many truck/gooseneck combos, and that I was
*much* less manueverable.  I was told I'd still have to move because
"this area is reserved for goosenecks."  While trying to park in an
area where I *was* allowed, I tangled with a tree and damaged the
motorhome body.  I showed the damage to the person who made me move,
who just said "I'm sorry, but you were in an area reserved for
goosenecks."  <sigh>

The next morning I saw a pickup and bumper-pull parked where I'd been
evicted from.  When I questioned that, I was told "Oh, they were
travelling with people with a gooseneck."   <SIGH>

Ah well, I digress.  My advice is to avoid a motorhome for pulling to
endurance rides, and get a truck/gooseneck combo with living quarters.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net