Re: [Re: Level II Roads in our National Forests]

At 10:12 AM 12/22/1999 -0700, EDIE BOOTH wrote:
>I was amazed at your response, Connie, to the proposed closing of USFS Class
>II  roads.  I did not think any of us who have been involved in USFS issues
>for years would come up with a response like that, and I do not believe it
>speaks for AERC or the trails committee.  It at least deserved some
discussion
>of the variety of impacts it will have, most of them good.  I do know that we
>need to discuss it and find the particular rides and groups who will be
>negatively impacted and see how that damage can be mitigated.  Certainly our
>problem areas must be identified and an effort made to cooperate with the
USFS
>to work on a solution.
>
>I, for one, was very happy to see this step taken.  In the bigger picture
>closing these roads is a step toward preserving some quality of forestation
>and public land for the use of future generations, whether riding, hiking,
>etc.  Closing these roads will NOT keep horsemen or endurance rides out.  The
>degradation of the environment that is occurring because of these roads and
>the irresponsible, unmonitored use of them is appalling.
>
>Please contact me in advance of a response on so important a public issue,
>particularly if the response purports to represent my opinion or the
>collective interest of AERC.  This is a big enough issue to bring before the
>whole committee for study and discussion before an all encompassing
opinion is
>made, even though the time was short.
>
>Edie Booth
>
>Edie, AT some level I tend to agree with you.  However, I wish as a
general rule the Forest Service would accord us the same level of respect
they seem to expect form us.  What Connie posted was I believe the general
position of most horse trail users, being endurance related or not.
Sometimes a strong position is what is needed to get their attention. We'll
see what happens.  In any event, this issue needs to be monitored closely.
I hope we can all sit down at this years convention and determine positions
we can all live with and then take it to the Forest Service in Wash. D.C.
Keep in mind that a lot of what is going on here is political.  It comes
right from the top or next to the top and then down.  I remember seeing a
picture of Al Gore riding a Tennessee Walker with his father.  We have no
connection with the Walking Horse folks, yet they are big trail users.  Do
you see where I am trying to take the connection?  Until we are connected
politically in Washington D.C., a lot of our efforts will be like a candle
in the wind.
And now Edie for a personal comment, I can show you photos of what clear
cutting can do to a forest. I have stood in ruts over 3 feet deep.  I've
never seen a horse come close to hurting a watershed area like clear
cutting can.  And if you think that setting aside an area for future
generation use will ever happen, I have some very nice ground in Florida I
would like to sell to you.  Once its taken away its gone. Forever! I'm of
course open to and example where this has not been the case. A final point
of interest, how many of you are going to be at the convention?  Best
Regards to all of you, and keep those thoughts coming.... Jerry Fruth