Re: RC: Terrible Tail Troubles (long)

Last summer my horse David objected to being loaded in a friend's trailer.
Being a horse who is much given to making extreme gestures when he desires to
make a point, at our repitition of the suggestion that he go in, he flipped
over instead.  Yes, all the way up and back and over.  His tail doubled back
under him (or rather, over his back) and he scrapped it very badly on the
surface of the gravel drive we were loading him on.  (Though he didn't break
it, as I originally thought he must've . . . thank the Powers That Be!)   The
wound looked *very* nasty, though close inspection revealed it was mostly
surface skin which had been scrapped off . . . still, it seemed like a lot of
skin was missing, and in such a tender, sensitive, and easily contaminatable
area!
    I washed the area very carefully, making sure it was clean and all there
was no gravel or dirt left in it.   Then I decided to leave it alone, see
what happened.  In my experience, wounds I've left alone (except for keeping
clean) seem to heal better and faster than wounds I've tried to "help" along
with creams, gels, or what have you.  My farrier was out a few days later,
and at this point the wound was still very nasty looking . . . he suggested I
get a squirt bottle, fill it with (forget what he suggested, some antibiotic
liquid?  Betadine?  Can't remember . . .) and squirt it on the wound . .
.though he said it would likely sting like heck, so stay out of kicking range
when I attempted this.   Well, I couldn't bear to do something like that, and
although putting some kind of antibiotic on it seemed like it might be a good
idea, what I did instead was run running water from a hose over it two or
three times a day, every day.   I did this until the wound was completely
closed over and new skin had grown.
    It healed beautifully, no scarring (which I'd worried about, because this
is skin which needs to be very flexible for David to swish his tail easily),
no problems, nothing.  Other than giving him an extra scoop of vitamins each
evening, I didn't do anything more than this.
    Of course, a scrape is not the same thing as a laceration.  But this
method worked well for us.  David would've hated anything "stingy" put there,
but he loves baths and was very co-operative with this method.

Trish & pretty David
Grand Blanc, Michigan

<< came out to ride, tail seems more sensitive.  Take another look and notice
that there are lacerations in the hair at the bottom of the dock.  Hobble
horse (thankfully had taught her this in the fall) and cut off a whole bunch
of hair underneath so i can see what is happening.  It is horrible.
Infection and blood in a crusty mess.  wash with betadine in water and put on
Hibitane cream (antifungal antibacterial).  Gave her a shot of penicillin.  2
days later repeat.  Cut off more hair.  Then it gets worse.

 Dec 27 go to see Saffy.  Notice immed. that about 3 inches of tail is GONE,
leaving a bloody stump end.  I just about tossed my lunch.  Called vet. 4
hours later vet is here.  Sedate horse, shave off entire tail, cleans all
wounds.  Put horse on major antibiotics, bute.  Using wet to dry gauze
wrapped up.  change very day.  Seems to be getting better every day.

 Hoping for best case senario, no further amputation of tail.  Vet had never
seen a wound like this before on a horse.  Apparently common in cats and dogs
(fights). >>