Re: on the Fly

Mine is moose & mountain lion tracks in the snow. Haven't been unlucky enough
to run into them in person on horseback, but the tracks alone (right in my
"backyard") are enough to make us both just a little nervous.  Even the dog
stops! I partly moved here for the training ground, unlimited riding & hills
but I don't make any moonlit rides alone & sometimes not even day time! My 6
yr old son has about had it with me though, his pony really has to move to
keep up! The joke goes something  like this... that I carry a gun not for the
wild animals, but for the horse if he throws me & takes off!!!  On another
note, how does all this snow euate when compared to sand and are there certain
considerations or precautions I should be taking? I usually ride where my
husband has been on the snowmobile so its packed well enough not to go down
too deep. I also put Pro Equine boots on his front legs & his gaitors over
them. Seems to move just fine-I take it slow since. If he's acting like a snot
I take him in deeper snow (below the knee though).  Any thing I should be
aware of as far as injuries to watch out for? Also, he seems to bestocking up
in his hind fetlocks while stalled at night or if he just stands around during
the day, goes down as soon as he moves around a bit. Is this from the cold?
Any way to prevent it?
-Diann & Spyder
 In the cold, snowy mountains of Idaho

CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 12/31/99 6:07:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,