more shoeing questions

O.K.  I've gotten quite a few posts and want to compare notes.

First, No, Kaboot is not necessarily prone to bruising.  He's got over
1,800 miles, and never a pull for a stone bruise...but came darned close
on this thing this year.  I never pad.  He wears easyboots great, size 2.
 The heel sticks out a mile, but he trots so wide in the rear he never
touches it, thus I'm not particularly worried about him grabbing a bar
shoe.

What I'm looking for is the best shoe to keep my horse sound when he's
going to quite a few rides.  Last year that meant about 650 miles
(including the 100 where I pulled myself), but you gotta remember with
our schedule that means lots of rides in April/May and Sept./Oct.  then a
few fairly spread out.  He ran top 5 usually, and just worked hard in
general.  No weight loss, and some might not even consider that a heavy
schedule.  I'm just looking for a good shoe.

He presently wears St. Croix lites. Wide web.  Maybe he does't even need
to change.  Just wondering.  I'm more the type to splurge on shoeing than
feed supplements.

Several people have written to say they use a bar shoe and are having
good luck with it.  I don't think it would restrict the heel because the
heel spreads on top of the shoe.  I know at least one rider whose horse
had trouble and after going to a bar shoe put several thousand more miles
on him.  I also met a rider whose horse required the flip-flop to keep
him from pulling his shoes (not a problem with Kaboot).  That horse had
completed Tevis several times, so I guess the shoe survived rocks.  I
just liked the fact it looked comfortable. >g<

Now, another question.  He tracks WIDE in the rear.  He is also
bowlegged. He wears through the outside of the rear shoes first.  The
outside wall is very steep.  The inside has a big flare.  Any thoughts on
that?  The vets seem to think my farrier is doing a good job.  I'd love
to hear what shoes some of the big dogs use up front.  When you run that
hard, you've just got to take some chances, and it's good to stack the
cards in your favor.

Angie, getting all ready for 2000

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.