Need rain gear suggestions

I managed to make it out riding *in the rain* both today and yesterday.  I
couldn't think of a better way to end one year and bring in the new one --
just wish the weather had been a bit more tame!  I wore two different
jackets that were supposed to be weather resistant and got soaked to the
skin both days.  We had a couple of great rides and I don't mind riding in
the rain (and this was real rain, not the usual Washington drizzle) but I
need new rainproof gear!!  I have a cotton/nylon Driza-Bone summer weight
that takes a can of waterproofing spray if I wash it (and then I can't
stand to wear it since it stinks so bad from the spray...it's still hanging
nice and clean and dry and *stinky* in my trailer dressing room while all
my riding clothes lay in a soggy pile in the laundry room.)  Some of the
riding coats (the oilskin variety) I've seen look incredibly heavy and
cumbersome (altho I haven't worn any of that nature)...I've worn primarily
gortex for my other winter sports over the years but I'd have to rob a bank
to afford a long gortex riding coat.  I don't even know if they make them.

I'm looking for suggestions for the best waterproof long riding coat that
will cover my legs since they were soaked as well (but they stayed fairly
warm since I was wearing my new O'Keahy's polarfleece breeches I got for
Christmas. ;-))  I was warm on my legs but still very wet.  My torso was
soaked -- still warm tho with a polarfleece top of the same material as the
breeches.  Once I stopped riding, however, I started to feel cold and
clammy from my knees to my neck.  And I was definitely aware that my torso
was getting soaked while I was riding!

I also need some waterproof gloves.  My "neoprene" SSGs were soaked as were
my second pair...a polarfleece pair that supposedly has a lining that makes
them "waterproof" (changed soggy gloves halfway thru the ride each day.)
They weren't waterproof -- I could make a fist and squeeze a solid stream
of water from each glove!  The rest of me was fine (ie head, lower legs,
and feet.)

Sue (in very soggy Washington state)

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm